Drop us your enquiry and our consultant will be glad to assist you.Trial class sessions available please refer to Trial class page.Book your seat now.

Name *

Email *

Phone *

Course

Nationality

Message *

I would like to receive course information updates, promotional materials and exclusive invites from Chinese Edge via:



WE LOVE CHINESE

WhatsApp +65 8797 0995

Follow Us

Top
Image Alt

Can You Master The Chinese Language Through Self-Learning?

Can You Master The Chinese Language Through Self-Learning?

Learn Chinese Language Singapore, Learn Chinese Language

The Chinese language is hard to learn! You might have heard this phrase quite frequently. If you are interested in learning the Chinese language but are unable to follow the rigid timelines of academies or instructors, the good news is – You can learn it yourself. The Chinese language is not as hard as people might think. As long as you follow some basic learning rules, you can pretty much learn anything about this language.

When you’re learning a language, you should be driven by your goals so depending on what your goal is, success will look different for everyone. For example, if your only goal is to travel to China and to have conversations with local people, then obviously you need to focus on speaking; because that is what will help you with your goal. On the other hand, if your goal is just to watch Chinese films without subtitles then you should be focusing on listening. Hence, your way of studying the Chinese language will be driven by your goal, but with that said, please note that speaking is an important part of any language learning. You should spend some time on it even if it is not your priority.

When you neglect the speaking part, you might be making your progress much slower. Alternatively, when you practice speaking, you consolidate and solidify the knowledge in your memory, and you become more fluent.

For self-learning Chinese language, it is suggested to practice the language by speaking it; through this way you can get better at reading, listening, sounding natural and knowing what the language naturally sounds like. Knowing the difference between natural language and unnatural language will help you become better in all aspects of language learning. Hence, practicing speaking is definitely something that you should be doing.

It doesn’t necessarily have to be long conversations with people; instead, saying a three-word sentence also counts in speaking. Similarly, you don’t need another person to speak to. You can practice by speaking to yourself in front of a mirror.

Going back to the question of: Is it possible to Learn the Chinese language through self-learning? The answer is—yes, you can, and you can probably do 90% of it through studying and the remaining 10% through actually speaking. Going out for social activities, finding native speakers of the Chinese language and having conversations will help you achieve that 10% as well.

There are a number of different tools and resources available that can help you learn the grammatical rules and vocabulary of the Chinese language. Learn the basics from there and then practice it in the real world. You might encounter a few obstacles during your learning phase, especially when it comes to the tones and dialects of the Chinese language. The more you familiarize yourself with the language, the more you can gain command over it. Repetition is a great way to memorize anything. Whenever you come across a new word or sentence, you should repeat it in your mind or if possible, say it out loud. This way, your tongue will grasp hold of the word and you will remember it for a longer time.

If you are not sure that you can learn Chinese yourself or if you prefer to learn it in a more professional way, make sure to join a good academy in Singapore.